We aim to encourage writers everywhere: Not just in Farnham but throughout the UK and around the world.
We love all genres and are offering prizes in the categories of literary, romance, thriller and science fiction & fantasy as well as for the overall winner. The best entries will be published in an anthology. Send us your best short story of no more than 3,000 words. See here for details and rules
The town of Farnham in the south-east of England has a rich artistic and literary heritage. It is home to the University for the Creative Arts and among its literary greats is William Cobbett, author of Rural Rides.
Please ensure you read the rules carefully before entering the competition.
Entry implies acceptance of all the rules and failure to comply may result in disqualification.
- Stories can be on any theme or subject but must be original and written in English. They must also be for adult or young adult readers. Non-fiction and fiction written for children is not eligible. Entrants must be 16 years or over.
- Maximum length is 3,000 words. Entries should be typed, double or 1.5 spaced, in a plain legible font (Pt 12). Each page should be numbered but carry no personal details about the author. Send stories in email attachments as a doc, docx, or pdf, file. The file name must be the title of your story. (If your story is untitled, the file name must be the first five words of the story).
- Closing date for receipt is 5 Jan, 2022 at midnight, BST. Online entries only. The Award is open to everyone (locally/nationally or internationally). There is no limit to the number of entries but there is a fee of £10 for each story submitted. Stories entries must be paid for at ti me of entry.
- Entries must not have been previously published in print or online, been broadcast or won a prize. Published online includes publication on your personal blog.
- Entries will be read and judged anonymously so do not put your name on the pages of your story.
- Once you have submitted your story and paid for your entry, no refunds can be made.
- Prizes are as follows: £25 for the winning stories in romance, literary, science fiction/fantasy and thriller categories; and £100 for the overall winner. The shortlisted stories will be published in an anthology.
- The results of the competition will be announced on the Farnham Literary Festival website.
- By entering, competitors accept that prizewinning and shortlisted stories, with the authors’ names, may be published on Farnham Literary Festival website, in an anthology, in local media and/or be read out on local radio stations for up to a year from the closing date without extra remuneration.
- Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author but the Farnham Writing Award has unrestricted rights to publish the winning and highly commended short stories.
- Simultaneous submission is permitted. Should your fiction win a prize or be published elsewhere, please let us know as soon as possible so we can remove it from the current award.
- By entering, an acceptance of all the rules and is implied. Entries that fail to comply with rules will be disqualified. No correspondence can be entered into and the judges’ decisions are final.