From 1895 until 1974, Farnham Urban District Council was the local and district body responsible for the town and environs of Farnham. The 1974 local government reorganisation saw Farnham Urban District Council disbanded and the creation of Waverley District Council through the merging of Farnham, Godalming and Haslemere District Council and Hambledon Rural District Council. All assets and responsibilities passed to Waverley Borough Council or Surrey County Council.
In 1984 consent was granted to create Farnham Parish Council. The Council was formed from 18 elected members representing nine wards in the Parish of Farnham. In May 1984 the Parish Council of Farnham resolved that it would be referred to as Farnham Town Council.